Pinterest

onsdag, november 09, 2016

Baby sleeping bag

My bonus(extra) daughter became mummy in January 2016. And I promised to make her a knitted baby sleeping bag.  She wanted one with knittted braids on...yay...
Started up the knitting machine... with no pattern at all...not knowing how to make the sleeping bag at all. Just started knitting.. 
I thought this was an easy doing..I saw some of the mountains I had to climb along the way. But I did not see them all.
This went on well, I thougt...in February and March.. 
The pattern came out well

Went off for school about two months. Month of May came. And I went to hospital for a minor surgery.After I came home I could not lift anything for four weeks. And then the summer came.

Summer is warm and you do not want to stay inside behind a knitting machine, right?? 
But what the heck, The baby do not need a warm sleeping bag in the middle of the summer.I can do it before the winter is coming and it is too cold outside. 
So in September I was finished with the knitting... And then I had to start to sew the bag...oh yeah...
Here is my cat, testing out the filling, while I am wondering how to put and sew the sleeping bag together.

Sadly no one has ever mentioned to me that I enjoy sitting on my coach watcing TV and do some handknitting. But I managed to sew the bag together after a while. 
It took a really long time for to put together the pieces. It is somehow difficult to figure out the stretch of the knitting and the fabric that has no stretch at all, without any measurement or patterns. I was crawling along the floor foreward and backward several times before I was satisfied.
Got it somehow shaped, and the zippers are on place, one for the filling, and one for to open up the bag on one side. Now and then you have to wash this bag, so one of the zippers are placed for to take out the filling.

Why it took so long for to get it finished???...Well it was not only the summer.
The biggest excuse was the darned holes and gaps the mother wanted, so she could use it in a car chair.
Oh my...I had to make 5 big holes in the knitted piece, 5 holes in the fabric, and 5 holes in the filling... and all of them had to match each other, the baby, as well as the chair. 
So it went on another month for to figure out where to put the holes. 
But at last I did it, I started to cut and sew again (November month).

I figured I had to finish the baby bag before he got grown up, I could not wait anymore. And I managed it. Here I am testing the sleeping bag with one of my dolls. It fits well for the doll, but would it fit the baby???!!!!

Today the mother took little Daniel outside.
Looks like the bag fitted him as well. She told me he had slept well in the bag. So I figured out that mission is completed.

Last to mention is: This is my heritage to my grandchilderen and my great grand childeren and so on... Think this is my first and last sleeping bag I am ever going to make. Today I am quite sure of it, but who knows?
So hopefully none of my childeren are going to have a baby at the same time.

Ingen kommentarer: